Thursday, March 7, 2013

Jeans and Hoodie Mash-up!

So as usual I have lots of mending to do, and often it doesn't get done in a timely manner. My son's favourite hoodie from two years ago needed a new zipper and the cuff was ripped. At this point it is too small to bother mending and my son has a new favourite hoodie. The pants were ripped (and perhaps helped by scissors?) before Christmas and still fit, but could be a little longer. I could have just mended the knees, but I decided to combine the two!




My inspiration for this was this pin that I found on pinterest


To be honest I didn't read the instructions in the blog, I just used the image for inspiration. First I cut off the pants above the knees and the jacket below the armpits. 




I laid the sweatshirt fabric below the top cut on the pants to determine the width. I saved enough of the bottom leg so that it would give me a little more length when it was all sewn together. I had to taper the sweatshirt material a little at the bottom so it would be the same width as the bottom of the leg.



I sewed up the side seam of the sweatshirt material and made a tube. I sewed the tube sides together with the top cut edge of the pant.  It's a good idea to sew this with a wide basting stitch so you can turn it right sides out and check to see how it worked.



It looked like this when I turned it the right way out. Okay, it looked like this the second time I turned it right sides out. (Thank goodness for the basting stitches I did!)


I repeated the process for the bottom piece of the pant and checked that it fit as expected. Yay, it did!


 I turned the leg inside out again, folded the seams open and sewed them that way. I repeated the process for the other leg and also applied the crest from the jacket to the pants.

PS. My son seems to have a thing for helping rips along with a pair of scissors.


See here for how this pair was mended

No comments:

Post a Comment