Friday, September 24, 2010

It was only a little hole when he left the house ...

It looked to Mom like he had put a pencil through the leg below the thigh. She didn't mend it right away and.....



..... this is how it looked when he came home!

Mom: What happened?
Son:  It was an accident!

Yeah, an accident with a pair of scissors, and much ripping!!!

I've gotten pretty good at mending, but seriously, this is a little much! The obvious choice is to make them into shorts, but the challenge of mending a "rip" of this magnitude is just screaming out to me!

At least the other pair I have to mend this week is actual wear on the knees!

I bought him a couple pair of jeans on sale before school started. "But I don't need any" he said. I'm so glad I did, but i probably should have bought more.

I've also had to mend my daughter's Jeans and hoodie this week which is unusual.



Update later in the day....


TADA!

I used fusible interfacing to attach the pieces together and then went over the edges several times with zig-zag stitches. I used a full bobbin of thread! I found that there was a piece missing so I left the opening rough and sewed in a piece of flannel from ripped pj's behind the hole. The edge of the opening should fray nicely after a wash or too. I'm tempted to go around the opening with red thread for added detail.

1 comment:

  1. I think that he ripped down from the small pencil hole and then had to cut off the leg because it was flapping too much.

    ReplyDelete