Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Lunch Insanity! (and it's only the third week of school)

The k-6 school that two of my kids go to has switched to a balanced day where they have two 40 minute breaks during the day. At each break they eat half their lunch and then go outside. They seem to be eating more than when they were getting lunch and two recesses. My 12-year-old is in middle school and only gets one lunch break/recess and is starved by lunch but sometimes runs out of time to eat the whole thing. 

Lunch is a frustrating topic for me. The first problem is that we cannot send anything with nuts or peanuts. They are changing board policy regarding bringing in food for the whole class on special occasions. It's not official yet, but the school has asked parents not to send in cupcakes on birthdays.  I can't send seafood with the youngest due to an allergy in the class. I was not told that it was a school wide ban -- not that my kids would eat tuna or salmon, "it's too stinky"!

On top of that, my eldest has become picky about lunch. Cheese bun ok, cheddar cubes ok, cheese strings not ok, ham rolls ok, crackers not ok, ham may go on nice bread or cheese bun, but not on white bread or dinner roll. NEVER put a cheese on any sandwich and no whole wheat bread EVER. No fruit gummies, but fruit roll-ups and craisins are okay. Bagels and mini-croissants are good. Apparently "Zebra Bread" is the in thing at middle school. It's a swirled light and dark rye. It had to be white bread when I went to school, unless you wanted to be mocked. 

Sesame Street snack cups are cool with my 12-year old and 4-year old girls (my eldest also has a cookie monster courier bag for school), but not for my 9-year-old son -- he has plain orange snack cups. I had to get an Elmo snack cup for my 3-year old daughter too, even though she is not in school. 

Apple slices and rings are cool, whole apples are not -- they are so last year! I dip them in OJ or lemonade or lemon/lime soda to keep them from browning. 

Veggies are not well liked -- unless I send "Toonies" (insert carrot into cucumber and slice). Although, my 12-year-old does like celery sticks. 

Bananas, seem to be ok, except that they get smooshed. My eldest has a metal lunch box, so she can take them. I have seen banana cases you can put them in to keep them safe,  but can't be bothered -- eat the bananas at home! I was mocked for taking bananas to school. 

Boiled eggs and pickles were ok in the past, the kids haven't asked for them this year. I don't often send them, because I was mocked. I should probably boil some eggs since they like egg salad. It will be a nice break from ham or turkey slices

Soup, mac'n'cheese, Zoodles are good, I don't know if brown beans are still okay. I send a hot lunch at least once a week when I run out of sandwich fixings. 

Yoghurt, pudding and fruit cups are okay. They weren't interested in the pudding and fruit cups last year. 

Sometimes I send "snack lunch" -- just extra snack items in place of the sandwich. 

I sign the kids up for the pizza, hotdog and sub days. It's one free day, where I don't have to think about what's for lunch!

.... AND WHY CAN'T THEY EMPTY THEIR LUNCH BAGS WHEN THEY GET HOME!  I've only been nagging the eldest two for 6 and 9 years respectively! I'm trying a new idea this year. I load up the sink with soapy water as soon as they get home and announce that I need the containers from their lunch so I can wash them. If we still do not have compliance they will be washing their own containers!




1 comment:

  1. Once the myshoprite experience survey has been completed you will have the chance to enter the shoprite survey for a $500 ShopRite gift card.

    ReplyDelete